Sunday, February 18, 2007

Capstone Project Update

In a previous post I mentioned that I would be using this blog as a way to test and share my ideas for my masters capstone project. For those of you who do not know, a capstone project is very much like a master's thesis. So when I say capstone think thesis.

Up to this point I really haven't posted much on my capstone. This has been for two primary reasons. The first reason is that I really haven't had much to post on my project. Most of my time has been spent preparing for my project. I am just starting to get into the meat of my capstone and as as a result am just starting to have some things worth posting. The other reason is that I'm a little wary of posting my work for all to see. I think my fear of failure and my perfectionist streak keeps me from posting anything till its perfect. Hopefully this blog will help me get over both these issues.

One may ask, why post anything at all? Some may think that I just trying to get other people to write my project for me and in a sense I am. I'm a firm believer in the democratization of the planning process and the importance of co-intelligence. The problems facing us today and into the future are increasingly complex and will require collective action and co-intelligence. No longer can the big problems be left up to experts and more and more often solutions are coming from the ground up. I see this project as a chance to harness the collective experience, ideas and intelligence of Memphis residents to make my project even stronger and hopefully impact the future of light rail development in Memphis.

No comments: